Monday, May 16

Don't Cross the Streams....




Remember?

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.


Dr. Peter Venkman: What?


Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.


Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?


Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.


Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "good/bad" thing, here! What do you mean, "bad"?


Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.


Dr. Ray Stantz: [low whistle] Total protonic reversal!


Dr. Peter Venkman: That's bad. OK, all right, important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

For more adventures in Shannon and free motion quilting read on.....

I got tired of looking at the Purple Paisley Quilter Eater Quilt draped over the back of one of the dining room chairs.  I decided to quilt it at the spur of the moment yesterday.  I stayed up way too late last night trying to finish the last area and ended up finishing it this morning.  I spent the last two hours last night after refilling my bobbin trying to figure out why my machine was acting up and I was getting bad thread nests and wrenching noises before giving up.  With a little help from the Internet, I figured out what I already knew.  I wasn't threading my machine properly.  Stubborn is as stubborn does.

It's done.  I can't wait until I've quilted another 50 quilts as maybe I'll be better by then.  The quilting isn't that much better than what I did on the Remember Whooooo Loves You quilt.  My meander got confused in more than one place and I'll accidentally crossed the streams in a couple of places--my meander quilting crossed some other meander quilting.  Oh, well.



These things I know:

I don't think I will ever enjoy quiting for myself.  I'm sure I will get better, but I don't think I'll ever enjoy doing it.  I'll be meandering the rest of my life.

I like Isacord thread.

I still like 80/20 Hobbs batting.

I want a sewing table that fits my sewing machine--one where my sewing machine sits down inside the table so everything is level.  I KNOW I COULD BE A BETTER QUILTER IF I HAD ONE.

Things I want to try:

I need a new Supreme Slider or I want to try that silicone spray that is supposed to help the quilt glide across the sewing bed and table.

I should have quilted this quilt on the back instead of the front.  I forgot I wanted to try that.  I think I would have been able to keep track of my quilting better.

I'd like to try taping off sections to see if that helps me stay focused and not quilt too far.  I think it would also help me plan my quilting better.

I need to take the emotion out of my quilting.  I get too worked up and don't know when to stop--once I start I don't want to stop and I just want to finish.

Ultimately, Sarah won't care about how it looks.  I will also forget and not care.

Next up?  Binding, finishing Alex's puppy quilt, and making a quilt I will have longarmed.




1 comment:

  1. it's lovely, Shannon - and QUILTED - and you learned lots of stuff doing it ... i quilt loops cuz i get lost when i try to meander - loop streams are SUPPOSED to cross and no molecules explode when they do

    ReplyDelete