Tuesday, December 7

The Cranky Quilter

As I sit here, at work--don't tell, pondering my existence....or at least the future of my quilting and this blog for the 100th time, I'm also reading a blog from start to finish.  I don't remember how exactly I came across this blog--probably hopped from someone's sidebar--but I'm so happy that I did and thank you to whomever helped me find it.  I've been entertained immensely.
The Cranky Quilter and the first post.

It's a well known fact that I'm cranky.  I'm cranky most of the time and often worse.

How is it that some people can be loved for their crankiness and some, like me, just seen as whiny or a chronic complainer who can't be happy about anything?

Does it have to do with the frequency, the degree, or the manner in which one is cranky that causes one to be liked, tolerated, or disliked?

Last Saturday I went to the first meeting of the Front Range Modern Quilt Guild.  I almost didn't go.  I figured this would probably be my last chance to be a part of a quilting group.  I'm very lonely you see.....  I made up a ton of excuses not to go.  The meetings are in Monument for goodness sake.  The family wouldn't like me doing something on my own.  I'm not a modern quilter--I like patterns, my ruler, and for my points to match.

I went.  I told myself to keep my mouth shut.  hahahahaha...  I told myself to go with the flow.  I told myself to enjoy the ride.  I told myself to not worry about what was going on at home.

I was there for all of a couple of minutes before my mom was calling my about my suicidal brother who had an anxiety attack, was experiencing alcohol withdrawal, and was in the hospital.  "Don't worry, though."  M was texting me at 7 to ask when I was coming home?  He hadn't fed the kids and thought that I would be home in time for us all to go to dinner at the disneyland of dining, The Golden Corral.  (I know I told him when and where the meeting was....  Oh, and it's perfectly fine for him to schedule family outings and be pissy when something goes wrong.)  I didn't keep my mouth shut at the meeting.  I also didn't keep my mouth shut on the way home with my carpool gals.

What is it about women getting together?!  Is it just me or is it a recipe for disaster?!  We were all pleasantly polite, but there was an undercurrent to the meeting.  The leader got of to a great start by insulting have the people attending with some ageist comment....I kid you not!

Oh, and do you want to know why there isn't a Denver Modern Quilt Guild--I guess there is or is going to be but before anything got off the ground there was already a falling out.

********I had nothing to do with it***********  I didn't even hear about it until on the way home?

Modern quilting is supposed to be the new wave because of the no-rules mantra, hyper-creativity, and inclusive membership but I can tell you that there was a distinct bias towards old, fuddyduddy quilters and traditional rules who belong to guilds like ACC which is probably akin to the way traditional quilters and guilds look at modern quilters and the movement.

Why can't there be a meeting of the minds even in the quilting world?  Oh, yeah...., women are involved.

The modern movement is just as bad as the traditional one.  Everyone looks down their noses at everyone else.  Fights break out over whether or not to wash fabirc before its used.  Steam or no steam when ironing PRESSING?

Gawd!

I left the Front Range Modern Quilt Guild.  I don't think I have the stomach for it.  I thought it better to quit while I was ahead or before I ended up with scissors in my back.  I'll just stay lonely....

3 comments:

  1. Funny that you should pick up on that vibe from the "modern" quilters. I got that same feeling from some of the modern quilt blogs. It's almost as if they are too good to just call themselves "quilters." I feel a little bit better knowing I'm not the only one to pick up on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you didn't talk your self out of going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, now ... that being said ... MEN have invaded the BOM meetings that we go to - and they are JUST as SNARKY as women ... i've given up on minds meeting or ANY group of humans agreeing on whether or not water is wet ... i go for my free block kit ... and to people watch

    ReplyDelete