Wednesday, December 22

A Gift I Didn't Want

C has gifted me her cold for Christmas.  I should have expected it.  I think I've been sick every Christmas for as long as I can remember.  Sometimes it hits before so that I'm recovering by Christmas, but this just slows me down as I'm trying to get all my last minute things done.

I'm off for the next couple of days, at least.

I spent the morning shopping for fudge ingredients, stocking stuffers, and other supplies.

I'm making my sister fudge for a gift.  I even bought candy boxes and packaging supplies so the presentation is gift worthy.  The butterscotch fudge is rich!  I used a very simple recipe that only requires butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, condensed milk, butter extract, and rum extract.  I also made rocky road fudge by request.  C was like, "Are you making that for us?"  Nope.

I also had to get small ziploc bags to hold individual servings of coffee mixes.  My dad and sister told me the ones that were their favorites last year:  French Silk Mocha, Spiced Mocha Coffee, and Chocolate Coffee.  I made 12 of each to be split evenly between the two of them.  The girls helped as we made them in an assembly line.  I was thankful for their help as it would have been very difficult for me to keep track of ingredients on my own.

Throw in some lottery scratch tickets and a homeade quilted "baked" potato microwaveable pouch for each of them and I think I'll have perfected white trash gift giving.

I still don't have anything for my mom.  Ugh.....  I really should have gotten inspired and made something spectacular, but I really wasn't into it and now I'm really regretting my malaise.  She's into cookbooks, reads them like novels, so there's always that idea.

It's funny how much one spends on stucking stuffer stuff for four kids when all is said and done.  Between the candy and the little gifts one gets.....

I've gotten nothing for M.  Double ugh!  Looks like it will be ITunes and a restaurant gift card.  He wants a new coffeemaker--probably one of those Keurig things.  The trouble with him is that he can buy himself whatever he wants.  Maybe my permission or lack of bitching about him buying himself one could be my gift?!

2 comments:

  1. i bought cookbooks for my three oldest kids - and that's about ALL they're getting - Costco has The Fort cookbook (by the owner of the restaurant) and it looks like a coffee table book - too bad i have to gift it away, cuz i wasn't finished reading it ... Pioneer Woman Cooks is another good one - i actually USE some of the recipes (which i almost NEVER do) and it is fun to read ... and Susan Branch cookbooks are pretty cool - but i've never used any of the recipes ... hope you feel better (or you can use the cold as an excuse to stay in bed on christmas morning and hide under the covers)

    ReplyDelete