Wednesday, November 3

A New Quilt Store: Wooden Spools

Am I quilter or not?  Was I ever really?  Maybe it was just another hobby that I've lost interest in?  I've never been interested in another hobby for this length of time.  Why is it so important that I call myself a quilter?  How often do I need to sew to consider myelf a quilter?  Will I ever feel the love or the excitement again?

I just don't feel like sewing.  I don't know if it's because I don't have the time?  --I expect that if I really wanted to sew that I would make the time.  I don't know if it's because all that has happened in the past year and I can't overcome it.  My lack of interest could be attributed to all the stuff that is going on around me with family and work.  Yes, I've sewed a bit but I've had to force myself to do it.  I've felt more than anything that I just want to crawl into my hole and disappear.

What does this have to do with the "A New Quilt Store:  Wooden Spools"?

In the past, I've been able to shop myself into inspiration or a project.  About a month ago, I noticed a sign denoting "Quilting" for one of the shops in a groups of stores on Broadway which is on my way home.  I was excited especially because the store is about 10 minutes from my house!  I stopped a couple of weeks ago to take a look.  The store was just getting set up and I wasn't sure what to think.  This week is their Grand Opening and remembered this yesterday when I saw some balloons attached to their sign so I stopped. 

The store is called Wooden Spools.  The store also sells yarn.  The store is very small with part of their space taken up by a longarm quilt machine and the front area with yarn, the cutting table, and cash register.  The store is almost like a quilting thrift store. 

The store only had one group of new fabric, a few new books, and will offer classes.  The rest of their inventory consists of fabric they have purchased from customers or maybe even from their own stashes.  Here is how they do it!  Essentially, fabric is purchased by the pound up to 50 lbs at a time by appointment.  The fabric must be clean, in good shape, etc.

The atmosphere was great and the two owners were very friendly.  The store is clean and very well organized with FQs displayed as in any quilt shop and the fabric is displayed on shelves folded or wrapped on plastic storage cards/boards.  I think the fabric, quilt shop quality, sells for $5/yd.  Most of the selection was limited to a yard or two or even less of each fabric.

I'm curious to see if they will offer more classes (that I won't take) or have some quilting groups (that I won't dare to join)?

At least I know I have a place to sell my stash to as long as they are in business if it ever comes to that.....

1 comment: