Friday, November 26

Queen of Mashed Potatoes

My record remains intact.  I have never cooked a turkey.  .....Haven't needed to as my mom always has it covered.

When M and I first got together, we celebrated multiple Thanksgivings with family.  We're down to one, but it's screwier than ever.  It would have to be, right?

We've evolved to my mom cooking everything at her house, including the turkey, and then bringing it to my house to eat.  Why not just go over to her house and eat?  She's a hoarder and there is nowhere to sit and eat.

It is what it is.  I try not to be upset about anything, because it's just one day a year.....  My mom identifies with her cooking skills.  Her health dictates the situation.  There are many reasons.....

I didn't breakdown until yesterday morning.  M tried to make it all better with a Venti Gingerbread Latte.

I was doing okay with the situation until I learned that she wouldn't be coming over to bake pies on Wednesday.  We still had the pies...... but, not anymore as of this year.

Part of the problem is that she is almost immobile.  I live in an old house with two sets of four stairs to get into my house.  (She even fell yesterday on the way in!)

I made M's apple pie yesterday.  We prefer ham so I cooked that--well, heated it up.  I also made him his chili (a family traditional dish for him that he puts on his mashed potatoes....can you believe it's the first year that I made it for him?!)

I am also the Queen of Mashed Potatoes.  I get to make them.

I had my fuss in the morning and got over it throughout the day.  I should have been happy because I didn't really have to cook.

And, yes, I totally got over myself when we sat down to eat.  It's easy to forget, forgive, and get over all the drama as soon as that first mouthful of delicious mom-cooked food passes my lips.

Happy day after Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment