Monday, August 15

Back to School


First day of school for S and A.  S is in 5th and A in 3rd.  C has been in school since the 11th.  Z, 8th grade, went to school on the 11th, but was off on the 12th to allow the 6th graders to have the school to themselves and get settled.  They all still have late start at 9 on Mondays.  C has first period off--not bad for a Sophomore.  (I kept pestering her about it.  Isn't there some class you can take?!)

Sarah's bag did get finished.  I ended up using a McCall's pattern as a guide that I bought for $.99.  I measured the tissue pattern pieces--hate those--and cut the bag pieces.  I incorporated the 1/2" seam allowance that the pattern called for.  I quilted the fabric for the outside of the bag in a simple meander.  The liner isn't quilted and she's annoyed by the polka dot fabric--I couldn't find anymore of the same fabric I used for the outside and wasn't going to run across town to another Hobby Lobby looking for it.  The straps and front pocket (I  only put one on the front) are stabilized with a fusible interfacing (the same weight I used for a T-shirt quilt).  I ended up doing the binding on the top of the bag differently than the pattern instructed, using the same method I use to bind my quilts (no-bump end and hand sewn to the back).  I placed heat set rhinestonses in the center of the smaller flowers.




C wants one, too, but a smaller version.  I'm racing to finish the binding on the boyfriend's quilt.  It's going to be close.....

1 comment: