Wednesday, August 17

Rush Job

Connie of Top Quilters did a wonderful job quilting the C.U. Boyfriend quilt.  She picked it up at Creative Needle after I dropped it off last Wednesday, called me on a Friday to recommend thread and pattern, had it done by Saturday morning, and delivered back to CN.  I rushed right over to pick it up along with some binding fabric.

She quilted a geometric continuous Edge to Edge square pattern on the top with monofilament top thread and black for the back.  I wasn't sure about the monofilament, but it looks wonderful.  It would have been hard to use a colored thread and still have an Edge to Edge design, which is cheaper, with the buffalo applique.

I wanted to start binding it right away, but we were out all Saturday and I had Sarah's bag to finish.  I knew it was going to be really difficult to finish it on time for Tuesday because I refused to compromise by machine sewing the binding on both sides.  I had 240" of binding to sew......  I'm pretty quick now, but still having only started on Sunday night, working all day but sewing at lunches (ahem....), and then at C's Monday soccer practice, and a bit Monday night, I wasn't done 3 pm on Tuesday!  I should have sewed the binding with a lighter color thread, but I was an idiot and used black.  Black fabric for the binding, black thread, and black backing fabric.....  I use my machine sewed seam line for a guide, matching up the edge of binding, and sewing just below it with a blind stitch.  I could barely see what I was doing in poor light and even used my book light attached to my shirt for extra lighting.

I stopped after work to buy a Shout Color Catcher.  I never prewash my fabric.  C misunderstood me and put the quilt on for a regular Delicate Wash.  It wasn't finished drying, lint rollered, and wrapped until 8:15.

She wouldn't let me put a label on it.  UGH!  Can you say Quilt Sin?!  I didn't get any good pictures--no closeups and it was too dark to take them outside.  Darn it!

He liked it....  I have her word for it.  She was able to tell him in all honesty that she designed it from an existing plaid quilt pattern, cut most of the fabric, and pieced two of the diamonds.

He's off to C.U. today for Move-In Day.




He wants to come see her play in her soccer tournament this weekend.  Crazy in Love?!

1 comment:

  1. all that work and you didn't get to put on a label?!? sheesh!!!

    ReplyDelete