Tuesday, February 2

The Queen of My Castle in February

February is my birthday month. I like to pretend that I'm the Queen of the Castle in February, my birthday month, but then reality quickly sets in. The biggest problem is that no one but me thinks I'm Queen material. My kids probably see me more as the Wicked Stepmother....

Working full-time has its ups and downs. I like the extra money, but not the hours when I'm not busy enough at work. I've not had one day when the kids haven't called me. Yesterday, my mom called me because S wasn't where she was supposed to be and didn't meet up with A and come to her car right away. She was off with a friend buying something. Z called me shortly after they arrived home to protest that S was eating one of his egg sandwiches. I got home and was immediately met with complaints from C that Z refused to unload the dishwasher until he was darn good and ready. M came home to my demand for a family meeting where I learned that Z has five missing math assignments since the beginning of the quarter in January.

Everyone spends so much energy fighting with each other and finding ways to get out of doing things. I wish I could bottle that energy or somehow refocus it to attack the housework and repairs.

They think I'm kidding when I asked for the bathroom to be cleaned for my birthday mid-month. Well, I know M knows that I'm serious. I'll have to buy my own crown, though.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I remember last summer when the kids asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said a clean house. They laughed hysterically- thought it was a total joke. Then they said, "No mom, we meant what do you want us to BUY for you?" And I said, "I don't want you to spend your money, I just want you to clean up the house. Yeah, you guessed it- it never happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh because this is what I always ask for!!!!! A clean house!! They want to take the easy way out and buy me something. Thats not what I want.

    ReplyDelete