Sunday, February 21

Short

I'm short at 5'0, but that's not what I'm talking about....

I find myself short of fabric again. I finally got up to Harriet's Treadle Arts on Thursday to get the fabric I was short of for the Log Cabin blocks. It's a good thing because the bolt was done to the last yard or so. I got some other stuff, but I missed my birthday discount. I also got caught in a wicked snow storm, but that didn't stop me from stopping at one of my favorite Chinese restaurants for a #11: a combination Vietnamese dish with rice noodles and raw veggies. I never use the spicy fish sauce it comes with. I only go to this restaurant on the way home from this quilt shop so I wasn't going to let a snow storm get in my way since I didn't know when I'd get back that way. I used to go all the time when I worked at a dentist's office down the street.

I got caught up on the three blocks I didn't have this fabric for and am now working my way through piecing the rest of the blocks. I couldn't wait to see what they were going to look like finished so I cut the rest of the fabrics. I am just barely short of the last fabric which is a 2.5x14.5" unfinished strip. I don't know if it would have made a difference if I'd have planned better in the order I cut my strips. I guess that's what you get for working from a picture and not a pattern. I like to live on the quilting edge. It's a bummer because I was at GAQF on Friday. Why is it that when I go for a sale or a discount that I can never find much to buy?

These are what the blocks look like finished. They're 14". The blocks have become a little unmanageable with the last strips and are taking a lot more time to sew. I'm eager to finish them all, get the top pieced, and find a border fabric.



I bought a couple of fabrics weeks back when I shopped for my aquas. This is the brown Hoffman/Asian fabric that I like. M isn't sold.



Here's a scan:

Hoffman/Spring Street

I had planned another border/sashing fabric in between the blocks and the outside border. I like this fabric a lot by itself, but I'm not sure if it's right with the brown border fabric. I think it may be too busy and/or the print too large. It might make more sense to use a fabric from the Hoffman/Spring Street line if I use the brown fabric from the line I pictured.



I was surprised to learn that it's from a Possibilities (of Great American Quilt Factory/GAQF) line:


Possibilities/Petals and Paisley

I used one of the other fabrics from this line in the Log Cabin blocks. I've always liked paisley!


Possibilities/Petals and Paisley

Feel free to weigh in. This is the pattern the blocks will make:



If I go with any of these fabrics I will need to buy more. I only bought 1/2 yds.

A note if you haven't followed this quilt's progress. I plan to hang it behind the bed in our bedroom. I had a bed picked out, but M is balking at my choice now. His choice is more traditional. I hope that we can find a compromise.

Oh, and when I'm not sewing quilts......

I'm kicking myself! I got so involved sewing Log Cabin blocks that I forgot I needed to make A's sweatshirt for his school music program on Tuesday. Doh! I was actually supposed to have his costume in last week, but I kept forgetting to think something up. I wanted to just find him a space T-shirt, but I never got out anywhere to find one. None of the department stores close to home had anything.

I was actually headed to bed at 10:30 when I saw the bag with the stuff, but was glad I did. It would have been horrible if I didn't get this done.

The sweatshirt was on sale at Walmart where I got all the other supplies, including the planet fabric and silver letters. I used fusible to get the planets on the sweatshirt and then thought better to sew them down closely to their edges for longevity. I hope he likes it!

1 comment:

  1. CUTE sweatshirt! Of course he'll love it! The blocks are looking good- can't wait to see them all sewn together!

    ReplyDelete