Sunday, February 14

Quiltathon Weekend

I promised myself that after missing the last Quiltathon that I would participate in February's. I'm very grateful that Judy of Patchworktimes suggests these sewing weekends as they are a great motivator. I knew I would have to make an effort to sew this holiday weekend. I'm pretty surprised at how much I was able to accomplish since I rarely am able to just sew. I always have places to go and chores to complete even on Quiltathon weekends.

I had a busy day on Saturday. We made an appearance at a Chinese New Year celebration that my company contributed time and resources. We decided not to stay long in order to take in Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. I still hold out hope that Z will get inspired to read more by seeing books adapted to screen. It worked with New Moon, but I'm not holding out hope this time as he hasn't even inquired about the book. I was glad that I took the time on Friday to finish the binding on M's Saratoga Lights quilt since we were so busy on Saturday. I couldn't let the day end without completely finishing this quilt. After dinner, I completed the quilt by sewing on the label.





(The pattern for Patchworktimes' Saratoga Lights can be found here.)

We stayed close to home for Valentine's Day. I fixed cinnamon rolls for the kiddos before quickly stepping out to treat myself to a Starbucks' latte. I fixed M eggs and bacon for his Valentine's breakfast before jumping right into my day of sewing and ....laundry. Yes, the laundry must get done even on Quiltathon weekend. M took C out for a round of errands. They ran into a nasty accident on the highway. We had gotten some snow in the middle of the night and I don't think people took the conditions seriously because there was a 13 car pile up on I-25 and then another two smaller accidents along the way to their destination. I was happy I stayed home to sew.

So, in addition to finishing M's quilt, I made some nice progress on our Log Cabin Quilt. I didn't have time yesterday to get up to the quilt shop where I bought the one fabric I'm short of so my chain sewing had to be limited to 17 of the 20 blocks I need. The shop is closed on Sundays. I hope to make it up there this week. I sure hope they still have the fabric still or I'm going to be screwed as it's right in the middle of my blocks and I went ahead and continued sewing the blocks anyway.


I had to edit the photo and so the above photo is cropped, but my block is not. Something is wrong with my camera card and the file is all wonky.

I would have liked to finish the latest strip on all the blocks, but I've run out of sewing energy for now. I'm going to do my best to get these blocks finished this week and the top finished. My birthday is this week and I'd like to take advantage of some birthday discounts at a couple of quilt shops to buy my border fabric. I'm still not clear on which fabric direction I'm going for the borders. I've seen some nice choices but I didn't want to buy anything until I had the blocks finished and set to see their effect. This is the quilt I'm using as inspiration.

2 comments: