Thursday, March 4

Quilting, My Stress..............Reliever

It's supposed to be that way. It ends up more often than not being so, but not because the reasons you might think.

I can never let a visible mistake go. I'm done apologizing for it! It has nothing to do with me being an unhappy person or a perfectionist. I don't prescribe to the motto, "better done than perfect." If I see a mistake and it's within my power to fix it, then I don't see ANY reason not to fix it.

This is MY way of thinking. To each his own!!!! If mistakes don't bother people and it's not a group project, then I don't care if YOU don't want to fix things and let them be. I'm not that way.

This doesn't mean that I'm a perfect quilter. Far from it...... But, I'm the type that doesn't let things be if I it's within my power to fix them.

The reasons my quilting stresses me out sometimes:

1) The goals I set

2) Thinking about wanting to quilt and not being able to

3) Worrying that people think my work is crap or that they don't get it

4) People misunderstanding me because of the above need to correct mistakes

5) Not being able to get a design or the colors right

6) The making of stupid sewing errors--the kind if I would just check twice to cut or sew once

These are just a few of things that can stress me out. I would never give up quilting because of any of them. However, we all know I run with scissors (to borrow a phrase) and that I don't play well with others. I do like to vent a little.....okay, a lot.

Last night I had a stressful quilting night. Brenda told me to "sew something". I've been wanting to finish the Quilt. GAQF is having another sale this weekend so I'd like to get my border fabric and it's just me that I need to have this top done to be able to make a good decision.

After church, chores, kids' bedtime rituals, and the replay of Burn Notice I talked M into finally watching The Taking of Pelham 123 that I've so long we should have just bought the movie. (I love Denzel and John so I've been wanting to see it. My review: good, but maybe I just wasn't in the mood for all the violence and bad language.) Movies=sewing

I had pinned Rows 3 and 4 together the night before. I sewed them without issue--seams all butted well, even the ones that didn't nest (just a luck of the draw with these blocks and their seams). Finished this sewing mid-movie so I moved on to sewing these rows with already combined Rows 1 and 2. Now, I swear I checked my picture to be sure that I was sewing the rows together correctly (i.e. so the bargello effect would occur).......... Pinned and sewed. Opened to press and oh, #$%!. Yeah, you got it. I had sewed the rows the wrong way. (Shades of Saratoga Lights, but not so bad--if you will remember, I had the whole top pieced and TRIMMED when I realized that I had sewn a block in a row the wrong way. This wasn't the first mistake in THAT quilt which made it that much worse.)

Calmly and quietly reverse sewed. LOOKED AT MY PICTURE and pinned the ends together. If I'm in the mood tonight and have the time, I will try again. I don't think we have anywhere to be?

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! As much as I love to sew, it sometimes stresses me out, too. Especially when I just can't get a project completed. Or I start making dumb mistakes. I felt that way with my most recent project. Thankfully, it's done now and I don't have to worry about it anymore!

    ReplyDelete