Tuesday, March 30

Twilight Quilters Coven Anniversary


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


One of the most rewarding moments in my life was about a year ago. I helped found and administrate a group called the Twilight Quilters Coven, including securing their blog home and it's set-up. The group combined two of my obsessions: quilting and Twilight. I was a driving force behind the idea and design of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Quilt which was finally delivered to Stephenie this year after it's participation in a couple of quilt competitions, being displayed at the Utah New Moon Event, and a feature in Quilter's Home magazine. The group is celebrating their 1-year anniversary this week.

I won't be celebrating.... I am sad about that. I've forgiven the Twilight Quilters Coven for the way the whole New Moon Quilt played out. I'm not holding my breath anymore for their forgiveness. My "tantrum" has become legendary and is still mentioned to this day.

Parting shots:
















Well, here's what you just apologized for. I should have just sent it out instead of waiting for everyone to "approve". I hope you take the intent of this message as one of acceptance and healing....

It's understandable if we don't hear from you for a little while....but please don't shut me and Elizabeth out, ok?

Your friend, Iris


Shannon,

You haven’t been kicked off the island…..

We admire you for your creative input, your exacting skills, your enthusiasm and drive.

However, to say that many of us were hurt by your recent actions is an understatement: the lack of communication ahead of time; the changing of blocks; the addition of undiscussed blocks; and most importantly the insult to people who invested their time, money, and care into participating.


mama2cjmj wrote:
In Utah I was so excited with her ideas for the quilt I offered to play with the layout, and she agreed. Then I worked on it, although I quickly wanted to give up, flaker that I am, and called her a couple of times to see if it was coming out acceptably. Not one hour after getting her final approval, I posted it then she hurriedly contradicted me publicly on our thread. I was SO embarrassed!

A little tweak here and there, fine. But I was astounded that she totally replaced Joyce's meadow without consulting! When I saw it my first thought was "tell me you asked first!" I thought she'd learned from the first tweak, Wanda's gifts! That was just insulting!



Meredemer wrote:
I have been thinking for a few weeks now that the quilt was turning into Shannon's quilt and I have been one that got feelings hurt. I am sorely disappointed in that the group trust was broken and there was a total disregard for the rest of us as Shannon feverishly worked to make it more hers than ours.



jewah1976 wrote:
Anyway, I think that this was handled very wrong, a 'group project' is done by a 'group' and if you don't want it to be a group project, don't offer to head it up. The fact that she truly altered some people's blocks so much and without even consulting us about it first is inexcusable!



LizzieBug wrote:
I was looking at it and the wolf paws, which are 2" x 2 1/2" don't look like they'll fit in the sashing -- which is very disappointing. I designed them to go in the sashing.



livethedream wrote:
I have to tell you, when I saw the new 'dangerous meadow' block, I cried and blamed myself for not making the block 'good enough'.

Even though I was finally really happy with how it turned out (I think the final count was 8 incarnations which is what took me so long), I think we can all relate to knowing what imperfections exist and hoping no one else notices. Looking at the final layout of the quilt, with the paws in the meadow, the block I sent would have been too busy, so she did need to have a new one. (I have asked her to send mine back. I worked really hard on it and will use it on something else.)

Of course, she truly should have consulted the group immediately with big changes such as new blocks. It really doesn't take much time to post and get a response from this group. And, honestly, to totally remake someone's block, not use what they made, and not tell them is inexcusable. It shows a total lack of respect.



hardhatcat wrote:
I was a bit put out by the extended silence from Shannon and then all of a sudden a lot of changes. I think she should have consulted the group before making any major changes and i was a little annoyed at the beginning with the confusion over the dimensions.



Melly wrote:
a group project should remain a group project. Someone who has such a huge responsibility as putting together the quilt should do it with a group opinion in mind. Of course, not everyone can get their way. Which is why I feel kinda sad, because it seems now that only one person got her way. we all invested time and money in this project.



This is an equal opportunity quilting coven. As long as someone has been welcome into our group, and is willing to go along with rules we set, then we need to respect that person’s artistic creativity, their personal skills, and themselves as a person.
All group projects need a majority consensus. When a coordinator is chosen and a layout is planned, everyone has a say in the final product. Any major changes have to be given over for input, discussion, and if needed voting.

Regardless of personal preferences, when a piece of work is turned in by an individual, it MUST be respected. Except perhaps for squaring off a block, if a minor change is needed, for example dealing with a sizing issue, that needs to be mentioned ahead of time to the individual out of respect and for input. If a major change is needed/desired, such as adding to the block, cutting off more than just for squaring, or replacing the block, the person who made the block MUST be contacted first. She deserves to be given the choice to a) give a go ahead, b) choose to remake it herself, or c) insist that it be included as is.

When we do group projects we need to be able to trust each other. And it is inexcusable to insult someone by changing their work without their consent! To be put in that situation, learning that your work was disregarded, after so much work and care went into it, is not how anyone would want to be treated.

We have come together to share our love of quilting and Twilight, to grow as quilters and as friends. Unanimously we agreed that we would like you to continue to be part of our little group. We would like to continue learning from you, as you learn from us, and have you share your work, both in group projects and in your own personal projects. Your quilting skills are amazing, your work is beautiful and having you choose to leave our group would be a big loss. We hope that you can get past your feelings enough to see that we really do value you.

But apologies are in order.

And we decided that in the interests of time Angie is going to finish the quilt and send it directly to Elizabeth.


What started out as most group members' ire with me tweaking the design and as a result needing to add some blocks, remaking some blocks without consultation or permission (some of the above pictured), and making the quilt project more of an individual one soon blew-up to an all out Quilt Fight when I inflamed the situation by not apologizing, not going quietly into the night, and demanding that my blocks be returned to me.

I know I reacted poorly. I got my dander up. I felt stabbed in the back by Elizabeth and Iris who were supportive behind the scenes, but turns out felt the same way as everyone in the end.

The quilt was remade. It auctioned for $850 at the Utah New Moon Event. The rest is history as they say!

Don't forget to enter the Coven's anniversary giveaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment