Sunday, April 25

A Battle I Don't Want to Fight

I've talked about our church battles before.  The battle continues.  We aren't going again today.  I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than it really is because of my issues.  M, nor the kids, have such issues so it is easy for them to blow off our commitment and put in an appearance whenever the mood strikes.

We became members last fall after I completed my classes.  The kids and I were baptized.  We are also tithed , not 10%, but what we could realistically afford.  C is going on a youth group trip to New Orleans for a conference this summer for which the congregation has donated generously to in several funraising initiatives this past year.  Both C and Z are in the middle of Confirmation classes.

M doesn't see the need to go every week even when we don't have a conflict like soccer games.  The kids twitch and moan about going to church and class.  They make the hour plus of church an experience that I dread.  C and Z see they service as acolytes as another dreaded chore that they don't want to do.  They don't like to go to any of the other functions or events either.  

There are any number of levels to our need to attend church.  I have put forth all of them, but I have not won any of the arguments and I'm ready to give in.  I'm not saying that I won't continue to attend, but I'm done trying to force my family (especially when I don't have the support of my husband) to attend church.  I'm tired of arguing....

1 comment:

  1. Your kids are lucky its only 1 hour. Us crazy mormons go for 3 hours!

    ReplyDelete