Sunday, April 18

Design Isn't My Thing

Strange day today.

M ended up taking Z out for his b'day lunch and movie. (M wrangled his way into doing the job when he found out that the reason Z wanted me to take them was because he thinks M rags on him too much. I think Z was afraid that M would embarass him in front of his friends. M took offense, but I guess they worked it out because the next thing I knew M was taking him?!) Only one of his friends ended up going. Ian is Z's friend from my mom's neighborhood. He's a nice kid and he's never been in any trouble. M doesn't totally approve because Ian is almost 16 and Z is just 12 tomorrow. Ian is really nice to Z, though, and I am so thankful that he didn't bail on Z today. They have hung out together for years since the kids spent all that time growing up at my mom's. They don't get together much anymore since the kids don't go to my mom's much these days. Z hasn't been able to make friends this year.

S assumed that because I wouldn't be taking Z that I was going to take her and her friend about town today. I wasn't prepared to do that and she had a fit. I got pretty annoyed with her, but ended up taking her and A out to Target so she could shop for some b'day gifts for her. She ended up with a new jean skirt and shirt, some stuff from the $1 bins, and some play food. I would have taken them to lunch, but she wanted cinnamon rolls from Target?! Her friend's mom texted while we were out so she ended up there for the afternoon.

I spent the afternoon doing laundry and sewing some in between some other chores. I was supposed to make Z's lemon cake, but I didn't have my mom's recipe since she forgot to bring the cake mix and the recipe when she dropped the kids home on Friday. M got it when he was with the boys this afternoon. I went to make the cake tonight, but I don't have all the ingredients. Dumb!

The kids want to take donuts for school treats tomorrow. More expensive than making cupcakes, but probably just as well for me to do this instead of making five dozen cupcakes. I can't believe Z wants to take some, too, but he said other kids have into his advisory/homeroom class.

Back to quilting..... I've never been good at designing anything. I usually use a pattern, book, or magazine to make my quilts because I can't design to save my life! I continue to struggle with the New Moon Quilt because I can't figure out how to set the blocks...that I've hardly made. I sewed the moon blocks together tonight. I know in my mind what I want to do, but I can't think of the best way to accomplish the idea. It's times like this when I wish I DID belong to a group at least to get some advice. I've tried doodling my ideas, but I am no artist! The other thing is I am so frustrated trying to paper piece my letters. I think I am going to have to applique.

On another note, I worked on more bubbles today. I am so proud of myself. I'm taking it slow and piecing the blocks very methodically so as not to waste fabric. I was frustrated on Saturday for awhile because the tension on my machine hasn't been spot on for awhile. I've been overlooking the fact that it's not been right through a couple of projects, but enough was enough. I fiddled and fiddled with it today. It's not perfect, but it's way better.

I guess there are SOME things I can live with.

1 comment:

  1. I think cinnamon rolls are a perfectly fine lunch request!

    ReplyDelete