Monday, April 5

so you SAY

An open letter......

(Specifically about quilting, but can apply to other pursuits.)

So you SAY you don't want to be perfect and you don't care about mistakes. So you say you're used to imperfection and and that's good enough for you.

I think people are as bothered by others trying to do their best as I am bothered by people that don't try to do their best.

I'm certainly not perfect, but I do try to do my best. I'm not shy about doing things over if I see mistakes and know that I can improve the next time.

I know people hold this against me.

Does it bother you when people do nice work? I may get a bit jealous--I'm only human--but it usually makes me want to learn more and to do a better job. Or do you become resentful and make them feel bad for being good at what they do?

I started making my blocks for the Keeping the Faith Quilt. I'm paper piecing the blocks. I modified the pattern so that the seams of the strips on each side of the block are opposite and the seams will nest when I sew the two sides together. My first block went together without a problem. My second block with a couple of issues. My third block had more mismatched seams than matching. I left the second block alone for all of..............a 1/2 an hour before I seam ripped the second and third block. I could have left the blocks, but I knew that I could make them right.

I guess it's all about what you can live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment