Sunday, April 25

A Paper Pieced World

Don't freak out and think you came to the wrong blog!  I'm actually writing about quilting in this post.....

And, word has it that I have no room to talk about M and him not finishing things as I'm long list of quilt UFOs is longer than my arm.  Don't I know it!

I'm nothing if not stubborn.  Stubborn is as stubborn does. Stubborn is especially stubborn when I'm trying to avoid doing something else.  I'm actually surprised that I'm being stubborn over this since I give up on so many other things.

Okay!

Why do I insist on this unnatural attachment to paper piecing everything?  It's not that I can't applique.  I'm not that crazy about hand applique:  needle turn or any of the other methods.  I could master the technique if I put in the time to practice.  I'm fairly skilled at machine whether it be blanket stitch or raw edge fused. Applique is simply put not a method I enjoy.

According to Cynthia England any picture can be made into a paper piecing pattern.  I have her book that shows how to do it, but I have yet to be successful.  I have watched tutorials on You Tube.  I have begged for assistance from my dad.  To be blunt, my brain just doesn't work in the right way for me to be able to do square up images and divide them logically into sections.

Recognizing this hasn't stopped me from trying....Hello..... STUBBORN, remember?!

My latest tortured attempt is to convert the Times New Roman font (only certain letters for now) into paper piecing patterns using EQ5 (After initially attempting to do it on paper and then EQ6, I went back to EQ5 which is still on my dinosaur of a laptop.  EQ6 has too many new tools and functions that make me twitchy.  I'm going to place the drawing book on order when I have some spare change, but until then I'm using what I know better even if minimally.)

This is what I finally came up with.  I used way to much border and so the sections are goofy.  I need to try again.

2 comments: