Friday, April 30

Project Monkey: Drinking of the Kool-Aid

Whether or not you think the phrase "drink the kool-aid" offensive, because of it's roots to the Jonestown murder suicides in 1978, it's a very effective phrase.  My kids would look at me blankly if I used it, buy my generation and older would probably know what I meant.

The term “drink the Kool-Aid” is used to describe blind acceptance of something, whether it be a high stress work environment, an order from a superior, or membership in a particular group(Wisegeek)

I'm asking you not to drink the kool-aid..... wherever it may be offered up:  politics, business, friendship, or quilting groups.

People become so overwhelmed by charisma, a personal quality attributed to people who arouse fervent popular devotion and enthusiasm, that they abandon any ability for critical thinking or just plain good sense regarding character and true intentions.

A kool-aid drinker will mindlessly follow his or her leader even if it means doing personal or public harm to self or others. (open.salon)

What is worse when you drink your own kool-aid!

I admit to sipping the stuff, including my own concoction.  Unfortunately, I'm the type that gets sucked in because I'm so desperate for belonging.  It's a good thing I haven't received any invititations to cult meetings lately.

My professional head shrinker was aghast at my latest endeavor and lease on life.  It wasn't what they had in mind when I promised to move on.  There's only so much I can agree to and I agreed to get more exercise and to get involved and I.....have.


It's super awful quality, but I couldn't find anything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment