Tuesday, May 25

Growing Up

Even my kids growing up is all about me.....

I'm not one of those moms that is bemoaning their kids growing up or that wants them to be babies forever.  I'm eager to see them grown and on their way.  If only one of them comes back, I know I'll be doing great.

The only time I get hit hard emotionally by one of the kids showing signs of growing up is when I think about me getting older with them.  I'm shuddering at being old enough to have a high schooler next year.  I'm happy for her, but sighing a lot for me.

I had another moment this morning.

S is having a fun day today.  (The last days of school is all about fun!)  She was able to bring a blanket and stuffed animal along with some reading books today.  She wanted me to buy her a new blanket.  I told her no and asked her why she couldn't use her quilt.  I figured as much....

I made a Strawberry Shortcake quilt for her when she was three or four.  She still sleeps with it.  She is too old now to take it to school because Strawberry Shortcake is for little girls and she didn't want to be made fun of at school.

I know she will probably always keep her quilt.  I'm hoping she does.  It's not like it could be a hand me down because the quilt border has her name in lettered blocks.  It's S's quilt and no one else's.

Looks like I need to get busy and make her another quilt as she's outgrown that one!

1 comment:

  1. When Blake had his surgery, remember he was 15 @ the time. He asked me to get the first quilt my mom made for him when he was born so he could sleep with it. He would never want any of his friends to know.

    ReplyDelete